Ever since I have self- published an e-book, an anthology on ordinary Muslim lives, I have been inundated with questions specifically on how to read the book since it is not a printed book yet.
While I sort out the legalities of printing using the various self- publishing options or getting it traditionally published, you can still read the e- book. Or any e- book for that matter. You don’t need a Kindle or a Nook or Sony reader. But if you are looking to buy one, here’s a great review of various readers out there which might help you to take your decision.
So well, for those who don’t intend to buy another techno- machine, here is how you can still read e- books and enjoy them. You can sync books across apps, look up words, search, bookmark, take notes, and organize your e- book collection according to your preference. Best of all these apps are all free.
- Kindle for PC is an app that you can download on your PC and utilise precious time reading books rather than surfing the addictive net.
- Kindle for iPhone is an app you can use to read books on the go on your favourite iPhone or iPod touch. No hassles, just tap, touch and you are well into your novel or self- help book.
- Don’t have an iPhone? No problem. There is a Kindle for Android app which is just as good. you won’t even have to part with your lovely Andy (I know, not a very good nickname).
- Have a Windows phone. Here is the app that will let you read the e- book of your choice, the Kindle for Windows Phone.
- For the Blackberry addicts, there is an app for you too- the Kindle for Blackberry app.
- For those who have their heads in the clouds, there is the Kindle Cloud reader which allows you to read e- books on Firefox, Chrome, Safari web browsers. This is Amazon’s smart way of finding it’s way onto the iPad but be warned this app does not work on the iPhone.
- Kindle for Mac app allows you to read e- books on your computer.
- If you want to keep it clean and simple and only want to read stuff on your shiny new iPad, there is a Kindle for iPad app, just for you.
- If you want to read books not just from Amazon but other online places like Barnes and Nobles, you don’t have to purchase the Nook that lets you read their books. they have their own free apps for iPhone, iPad, Windows, Mac, Android.
- On a different note, go gift yourself an e-book reader or suggest it as a New reader gift.
If there are any additions to this list, feel free to add to it. Let us help each other to read.